This lab is meant for the study of various mechanisms & kinematics of the machines. It consists of basic models of power transmission devices (i.e Belt & Pulley arrangement, Gear & Gear Train), cam & follower arrangement, Coriolis component of acceleration, whirling of the shaft, and various mechanism, single & double slider crank mechanism, whit worth quick return mechanism, etc.
To complete this course student shall lead to
- Understanding of various types of mechanisms and their applications through models.
- Studying of various arrangements of cams and followers with their advantages and applications.
- Capability for selection of various types of gears and gear trains.
- Drawing of displacement diagrams for followers for various types of motions.
- Drawing of Cam profile for various types of follower motions.
- Capability for estimation of the coefficient of friction, transmission of power and amount of slip and creep for various types of belts and contact angle.
- Drawing velocity and acceleration diagrams for different mechanisms.
- Drawing displacement diagrams and cam profile diagram for followers executing different types of motions.
- Various configurations of cams and followers.
- Selecting gear and gear train depending on the application.
- Calculating the coefficient of friction, transmission of power and amount of slip and creep for various types of belts and contact angle.
- To study various types of Kinematic links, pairs, chains, and Mechanisms.
- To study inversions of 4 Bar Mechanisms, Single and double slider-crank mechanisms.
- To plot slider displacement, velocity, and acceleration against crank rotation for single slider crank mechanism.
- To find the coefficient of friction between belt and pulley.
- To study the various type of cam and follower arrangements.
- To plot follower displacement vs cam rotation for various Cam Follower systems.
- To generate spur gear involute tooth profile using simulated gear shaping process.
- To study various types of gears – Helical, cross helical worm, bevel gear.
- To study various types of gear trains – simple, compound, reverted, epicyclic and differential.
- To study the working of Screw Jack and determine its efficiency.
- Create various types of linkage mechanism in CAD and simulate for motion outputs and study the relevant effects.
- Creation of various joints like revolute, planes, spherical, cam follower and study the degree of freedom and motion patterns available.
- To design a cam profile by using the requirement graph using on-line engineering handbook and verify the same using a 3D mechanism on CAD.