This laboratory houses two stroke and four stroke engines (Petrol & Diesel), pressure gauge, cooling system, lubrication system, compressor along with functional models of various boilers like Cochran, Lancashire, Babcock, Wilcox Locomotive, Lemont, and Velox.
On completion of this course
- Students will be aware of the design and construction of both high pressure and low-pressure boilers.
- Students will be able to differentiate between the mountings and accessories and their importance.
- Students will be able to distinguish between different types of turbines used in steam power plants and will come to know how to analyze the performance and characteristics of turbines.
- Students will be able to calculate the dryness fraction of steam.
- Students will be able to analyze the performance of condenser, compressor and cooling tower.
- Students will be able to analyze the properties of fuel used.
- Students will be able to calibrate thermometers and pressure gauges.
- To study low-pressure boilers and their accessories and mountings.
- To study high-pressure boilers and their accessories and mountings.
- To prepare heat balance sheet for given boiler.
- To study the working of impulse and reaction steam turbines.
- To find dryness fraction of steam by separating and throttling calorimeter.
- To find power output & efficiency of a steam turbine.
- To find the condenser efficiencies.
- To study and find the volumetric efficiency of a reciprocating air compressor.
- To study cooling tower and find its efficiency.
- To find the calorific value of a sample of fuel using Bomb calorimeter.
- Calibration of Thermometers and pressure gauges.